Asanoya Bakery - a new touch on bread

Hey~ 

Back again with a super interesting post - pastry related! I figured that I really need to show you guys some of my favourite Japanese bakeries (because to me they are better than your average pastry shops). I can never find anything I'm very attracted to in BreadTalk or FourLeaves. But when it comes to Japanese bakeries, I'm always spoilt for the choice to the point where I actually have to stop myself. 

So to start this off, I'm a huge fan of Clicknetwork videos. The hosts are extremely interesting, and have great personalities as well as the charisma to really let you have fun watching the show.  So the latest episode comes from one of my favourite bloggers, Xiaxue. In her latest Guide To Life show, she did a video at Asanoya about making these Japanese pastries. She did the curry bun and green tea loaf. And as it would turn out, Asanoya is actually close to a place I frequent so I can pretty much stop by as and when I like (yay more food for me). But yup! I went in to have a look and see what was looking good. 

So here's the storefront - just to assure you, it's actually daylight and my phone made it look like evening? 
So here's the menu ( part of it )
And here's the stuff they've got! They actually have a good mix of sweet and salty flavour breads so that's super cool :) 
This place also offers some main dishes ;) 
And here are the cakes! 

And they have a tiny market thing selling various things for cooking now such as pasta. 

Okay so I couldn't take many photographs of the breads because unfortunately there was a line there and to be nice I didn't want to photograph a whole family in or ask them to move so I could take pictures. (Sorry maybe next time) 

And so I looked through. I was super attracted to the Caramel Apple Cube which is a cube of bread (super cool I'm gonna try that next time). But I didn't want anything sweet so after some time I decided to try the Pari Pari Yaki Curry bun which was featured in the video. 

The top of the bun has this crunchy cheese layer thing that tastes super duper awesome. 
And there's the inside of the bread: 
Now here's the thing I liked about their breads: the curry was Japanese curry. I don't really like eating curry things at local bakeries because sometimes it can be very spicy, and in fact it's so spicy that the flavour is completely dominated by the space and so you don't really enjoy the bread you just struggle for water (and extra props to you if you lack water). Plus, the curries are often more Indian cuisine style. So yea, the emphasis on spice is not my thing. I also dislike the Japanese curry doughnuts because I'm rather picky with my food and I don't really like eating sweet breads with salty fillings and worse if the "doughnut" part of it has a slightly sticky texture like mochi, I really can't stand it (call me pedantic but yea). 

The curry is also not spicy, which I like because your taste buds can really focus on the two kinds of cheese in and on the bread. I mean jap curry with cheese is genius okay (first discovered that at Miam Miam's) and this is super savoury! Definitely recommend you try it out. At $3.50, it's definitely higher cost than the local style bakeries, but the flavour is truly something else. Only downside tho, is that the inside is kinda cold which I think if the bread were to be heated it would taste even better. Idk, maybe it was something you had to request for?  

What I also liked about this bakery was the clean and simple concept which is very contemporary in my opinion.  

Oh and plus points for having a comfortable environment and the water it seriously helps if you're thirsty or just need some liquids in the middle of eating your dry foods. 
Simple concepts~

So yup! That's all - do check them out, I think this bakery is seriously good stuff. Also I'll link the video I watched so you can readily access it :) 

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/japanese-baking-xiaxues-guide-to-life-ep168/vi-AAcMZWb?refvid=AAcppkE

Address: 15 Queen Street, Singapore 188537
Nearest MRT (for your reference): Bras Basah, Bugis -> Bras Basah is closer! 

Thanks for reading! 

Love,
Khione 

Comments

Popular Posts