Update on the Carousell scam:

It's been over 5 months since the scam occurred. If you've missed it, you can read all about it here:
http://eatdressblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/getting-scammed-on-carousell-what.html

I am thoroughly disappointed. For once, I kind of doubt that law enforcement even works. No, I'm not trying to defame the police, or make any false allegations. But seriously, it's a scary experience the first time you get scammed. I have managed to send a message to the girl's brother, but have received no response thus far.

Firstly, I want to point out that it has been FIVE MONTHS. I have had to call the police station several times. The last time I did, the operator was busy for a whole twenty minutes. Ironically "the staff would attend to you shortly" was what the voice said whilst I was put on hold. No, I won't stop trying. I called about a month and a half ago, and all the officer said was that it would takes weeks and even months for the bank to respond to their request to show. To me, that really doesn't make the prospects of my money coming back a very real one any time soon. It's really frustrating. I find it frustrating that I have to be the one constantly calling. And then I have to call multiple times. I did call them once, the staff said the officer I was assigned was away. I left my number and my name, and they ever got back to me.

I sincerely hope that the operating systems at police stations would try to be more efficient, and also when people leave their name and numbers somewhere, can we actually be called back? The false promises are killing. I understand that this is probably a small case, but to every single victiim, this case is pretty huge. We can't go to any court or anything because it would be $100 and we would be making the loss. (I lost $40). Sure, it may not seem like much, to have $1000+ SGD scammed, but to every single victim, I think we have an official bad impression of how the law enforcement catches up with these small time scammers. There is no saying that they will commit bigger crimes in future, why are we not stalling them and serving them the justice they deserve right now? By now, that girl has probably already used up all our money. And no, she's not gonna get caught. We gave the cops her name, her phone number, her bank number, possible places she may frequent, pictures of her, and yet there is no response. I am truly disappointed.

I have heard from a close friend that even if they inform the person to refund you, the person is given no time limit and hence doesn't bother to refund. What this matter has proven to me is that once it's gone, it's gone. Maybe by some really rare case, or unless you have been scammed a whole lot, I'm talking tens of thousands, there really is no way you can get you money back.

My advice, if you ever were to shop online, try to buy with registered postage. Even though it can still be unsafe, it's better if you know where your parcel is going. Normal mailing is NOT safe. And if you do get scammed, just hope that the police get back to you on the case. Most likely, they won't. Previously, a seller on Carousell did warn us victims that some 35 people were scammed by an individual on Carousell and the police did not get back to them on the matter. And yes, our scammer is probably STILL walking scot free.

Best scenario, choose to do meetups should you ever purchase anything. Look for good reviews, credible reviews. You'd rather spend a bit of time travelling somewhere rather than have to face the prospects of your money never ever coming back.

Hope this warning helps those who shop on Carousell to choose wisely whether they want to do normal postage :)

Love,
Khione




Comments

Popular Posts