Back to School Shoe Guide 2016

 Hey guys!

from Maykicks.com
I thought I would give you guys my guide to choosing the perfect school shoe for school. As a student who spends a bulk of time at school, you definitely want to get a pair of shoes that are not only fashionable, but also practical (so yes, no platform sneakers haha). I thought it would be a great idea to compile some shoes that would not only be great in school, but also perfect for casual days out.

Let's jump right in!

The perfect pair of all white / black shoes don't have to be ugly!
I know that white/black shoes are a requirement for many many schools. As I am currently a Junior College student, my school does allow certain other tones of colour as well, such as navy and other subtle colours.
However, most high schools and primary schools are not that open yet, and only accept shoes that are majority white / full white / full black.
But this doesn't mean you have to buy really ugly shoes, which is often the stereotype. As such, the models I recommend will all come in school appropriate colour ways, and also unisex.

1. Converse All Stars and Superga- the canvas sneakers 
I really feel that Converse sneakers are a rite of passage for youths. Personally, I have worn Converse shoes since primary school, and all the way to the end of high school. Converse are definitely far more affordable than other brands such as Nike and Adidas in my opinion, and are also insanely comfortable to wear, which is great for school.
Chuck Taylor All Star Canvas Ox Unisex Sneakers, $65.90 from Zalora.
(image credits to Zalora.sg)
Personally I think Converse shoes are extremely versatile, but they do wear more easily in my opinion since it is a canvas fabric after all, and do bear holes with long term wear. Still, a very well priced option for school shoes.

If you are down for a pricier option which gives a similar look- Superga is a great brand to check out. I think they're rather overhyped and also a tad overpriced, but it is still a cute shoe nonetheless, especially the cracked leather ones which I think I saw on Prettyfrowns ;)
Superga 2750 in Cracked Leather, $169.90 (image from superga.com.sg)


2. Adidas Stan Smiths and Superstars - the tennis shoes
I myself picked a pair up this time in Spain (more deets in my upcoming Spain haul!). I think Stan Smiths are a classic example of a shoe that marries the upper class and the lower class. I have seen people from all walks of life, the rich and the poor, sporting these shoes. The most basic pair are definitely the green ones.
Adidas Stan Smiths, $139. (Image from sictomrm.com)
Another comparable shoe would be their Superstars, which are essentially the same thing, just without any mention of Stan Smith. As these are tennis shoes, I do think they are a little better for sportier people. And they are a pair that have been signature to Adidas for quite a while as well. 
Adidas Superstars, $139 (image taken from Journeys.com)
I am aware that Nike has a comparable model called the Ultras, but I'm personally not a huge fan of them. \

Nike Air Max - the running shoes
Now I know that many may ask whether I recommend Nike Air Max shoes. Personally, I do enjoy their rose gold colour way in their most recent collection:
Nike Air Max Thea SE, $199 (image taken from Poshmark.com)
However, I personally find them overpriced. $199 for synthetic leather isn't that great, and I definitely would not spend that on a pair of running shoes, particularly if you wanted to run in them. Furthermore, web reviews have not been all that positive for these shoes. 

As a casual shoe, although the colour is nice, I think there are just so many more affordable options that are way better (eg. Superga) since they give you a similar aesthetic. This pair is a miss for me, but to each their own. :)

Adidas NMD and Nike Huarache - the high end shoes
I think these two models of shoes go head to head with one another. Aesthetic wise I personally find them similar. Their price ranges are also slightly less friendly for a school shoe, but I know that avid sneakerheads and hypebeasts adore these shoes. I do think they're more suited for looks with long pants though so maybe not that great in Singapore. 
Nike Air Huarache Ultra, $179 (image from nike.com)
Nike Huaraches are normally around $170 to $200, so they are more affordable than the NMDs. I personally prefer these to the NMDs since the back of the shoe juts out less than the NMDs. I tried both on previously, and in comparison the spine of the shoe was a lot harder in NMDs, which I found uncomfortable, as compared to the softer spine of the Huarache shoes. 
Adidas NMD, $899 (from saints.com.sg)
Comparatively, NMDs tend to range from $300 onwards. I tried some NMD R1s back in Spain and although I liked them I simply preferred the Stan Smiths more at their price point and quality. I personally feel that $300 is also definitely a lot for a shoe and the splurge isn't worth it since I am not an avid sneaker fan (I do adore sneakers, but I cannot classify myself as a sneakerhead).

Probably save that for a casual day aye it's a little too rough to wear to school everyday. That said, to each their own, if you are willing to do that then I think it's not half bad. 

Other models I recommend people to check out are definitely the Nike Free Training shoes which I own a pair of (mine are TR Fit 5s, but I know there are TR Fit 6s with a rose gold colour way), Adidas Superstar Slip ons, Nike Roshe Runs etc. 

That's all! 

Hope you love this post, thanks for reading! I will be posting a super cool collaboration next week. Till then ~

XOXO,
Khione









Comments

Popular Posts