Thoughts on the H&M Kenzo Collection

Hey guys!

So if you were one of those fashionistas queueing on November 3rd, then I take my hat off for you because you were probably in line for one of the most raved fashion collections of the year - the annual H&M collaboration with a luxury brand. No doubt I was extremely excited to hear that it was a Kenzo collaboration this year, but I still didn't go down to join that line.
Credits to BULACE.com

And here are some reasons why. (Do take note it's just personal opinion)

1. Where are the iconic Kenzo designs?
I feel that Kenzo's iconic designs - their tiger design, their eye design - these are definitely more classic pieces. Let me show you what I mean
Kenzo Tiger Sweater (credits to Net-A-Porter)
Kenzo Eye Sweater

I was expecting to see a low end design of those ^ kind of patterns for the collaboration, and so you can imagine my disappointment upon seeing the collection because the patterns aren't very iconic to Kenzo. You do see the tiger print in some way but it's honestly not very Kenzo and that is a little heartbreaking because you notice that the Balmain collection did show pieces that were more iconic and more well affiliated with the brand.

2. The pieces aren't very versatile. This comes in terms of print and colours, and in some cases the designs. 
I think the greatest disadvantage to this collection is how the prints and colours are pretty crazy - almost a little too crazy - for my style. Not really a fan of animal prints in general (I'm okay with snake / alligator), but I'm personally not a huge fan of animal prints such as zebra or leopard - which were used throughout a bulk of the collections. Not saying you can't style these prints, but they do slip in and out of trends very often.
Kenzo x H&M Men's Jacket (Image from Esquire)
Furthermore the colours are a tad too bright for me and also too much with the neons and pinks - I prefer more neutral tones, or more minimalistic tones nowadays.
H&M Kenzo Women's Look (Image from hnm.com)
And lastly, most of their pieces aren't very versatile - because they are so loud and bold and generally very statement pieces, I think that decreases the wearability and limits the styling options for these pieces as compared to let's say a basic top, or clothing with more minimalistic designs. And since this idea of versatility has been extremely in trend, this collection falls a little short in my opinion.
H&M Kenzo collection hat (Image from hnm.com)
Take a look at their pink cap for instance - it's rather outrageous, and also not something you would wear if you prefer to not get stared at. If you do want to turn heads though, it's a pretty simple solution. 

3. It isn't very affordable for what it is 
Perhaps just my opinion, but this time they had less affordable options around as compared to the Balmain or Alexander Wang collection, where you could get a nice, signature, iconic piece for less than $100. But I do understand this thing can differ for different designers. 
Still, considering their average sweatshirt in Europe costs around $300, $179 is rather steep for an H&M one. In comparison, the price point doesn't really justify a purchase personally. 


That sums up my two cents about this collection :) Do you like these kinda posts? Let me know! 

You can also check me out on Instagram @khionenhy :)
Do follow me there!

Thanks for reading :)
Love.
Khione











Comments

Popular Posts