Kanye West Yeezy Season 3 Pop Up in Singapore + Review

Hey guys!

I'm really excited to share this post with you guys today - it's about the Kanye Yeezy Popup Store at Suntec Tower One this weekend! You can also hear my review of the clothing and the entire event itself at the end.
So this is a stock photo of the amazing Yeezy collection, with that classic Pablo print. 

And here's a catalogue if you're wondering what Singapore has. Based on my experience yesterday, there was only the red long sleeve and the crew necks as well as the military jacket left. They do have display pieces, but they really don't tell you when those are released unfortunately. (Kinda silly if you ask me). But quantities are super limited and I was told they didn't preempt the response well this time and they sold out way too quick. 

It's also important to note that you can only get 5 items max - and one max of each design (regardless of size). So if you want to buy to sell, do make sure you're actually buying to sell and not to keep cos you know, obvious conflict there.

Also the jackets and caps are not on display.

So I went to queue around 11am? And it was snakingly long. There were also a ton of people sporting Yeezy shoes and Yeezy apparel from other pop up stores (obviously in other countries) such as the ones in Los Angeles and Paris.
After a while, around 11.30 or so they split the line into two. There is a short queue inside but to prevent affecting other businesses a large majority of the queue is outside. I reckon those who were inside may have come super early in the morning / stayed overnight for the collection from what I heard about Friday's queue.
And after about two and a half hours I arrived near the door
Now the store kinda operated like Chanel  or Louis Vuitton at Takashimaya - if there were too many inside, they'd let you in based on how many people went out.
They also didn't allow you to loiter around . So you really had to go in, be told the stocks, pay and get your stuff and get out. You could look at the displays, but there were no fitting rooms or try ons allowed.
At the knob!
So here are some photos of the inside :-) 

These were the white and gold display pieces



And on the other end were the red and purple pieces. I'm sorry I couldn't snap a shot because I was being chased and told I couldn't take photos - which is ridiculous considering they let other people do it, but that's gonna be in my review at the end.
And here is the long sleeve that I got! I got the red and purple long sleeve - was tempted to preorder the white hoodie / t-shirt, but the issue is in the fact that it is white and if you stain it etc it is really really obvious and ridiculously difficult to wash off with all the font and designs etc - whilst for colours i feel like you can get away with it more easily. 

I did want to get a crew neck but the designs were not very nice so I got the long sleeve instead in a size S - on hindsight for a more oversized look I should have gotten a medium, but it still fits quite alright so I'm really happy.

Another thing I did to ensure I didn't overspend was that I used my remaining four slots to help other people on Carousell buy what they want - at a handling fee of $15 per item. All the slots managed to be filled up, so at the end of the day this long sleeve of mine was $30. 

Review 


Now comes my review of the entire event and the clothing. 

1. The entire event


Location
I felt like the location chosen could have been better or queue numbers could have been given - it was ridiculously long and hot to wait outside for so long. 

Queue
The queues were long, and that's fine but towards the end they split the queue up into two and we realised that some people who came at 12 were sort of ahead of us which was really really unfair. It seriously ruins the experience as well. So be careful about that. 
When you are inside they literally let TWO LINES OF PEOPLE go in at once - meaning if you're fast, you're ahead. Otherwise, congratulations for being at the back end of 80 people and good luck getting what you want considering the extremely limited quantities. 

Staff
Some of the staff were really nice and patient as I was hesitant to buy my shirt at full price and waste my other slots so I had to wait for money to be transferred in. Then came another problem that it was either cash or credit card and no nets allowed. So I had to get a reentry form to reenter the location after drawing some cash which was seriously tedious. Super thankful for those staff they were very nice :)

On the other hand, some of the staff were seriously rude as well (I think it's the head honcho) but they were seriously acting all high and mighty for working the event and there was a real double standard. You couldn't really take photos of the inside and they also particularly treat westerners better. My example of that would be that the guard allowed some Western boys to take photos at the Singapore logo on the wall, but when I requested he did not allow me to take any photos with me in it at all (which like seriously, does that make you lose business? it's so ridiculous). I get it, it's an exclusive event, but even stores like Chanel allow you to take pictures of their merchandise and this Yeezy store doesn't allow you to do that once you're done purchasing - and before purchasing you can only look you can't really take the items off the rack. Whilst I understand the queue is long and they want to let more people in, there's also this issue that those inside queued equally long - if not longer - for the items, and not allowing us to take the entire space in that's a little unfair. You guys know I love taking more photos of the location I'm in because it I feel it really brings the experience to life. So I apologise I couldn't get any snapshots of the red items (did manage to get for the white items though) but I was seriously being persecuted and chased out by some haughty double-standard-to-foreigners staff. Also they initially gave people the catalogue on their way out and I wasn't given one due to "limited quantities" (legit man wtf) they had so many wasted I swear. 

Clothing Review

Now comes the important part - for the ludicrous price you are paying, what is the quality you are getting? - absolutely cheap stuff. 

Put this in perspective - the T-shirts are $60, the long sleeve tops are $90. 
I was expecting a much higher quality, considering it was Yeezy brand and Kanye is obviously not too broke and earning way enough profit margins to print better quality clothing. The designs on the clothing are all printed with extremely cheap quality - the shirt material is definitely the stuffier kind, poorer fabric kind, which isn't exactly the best (at all) and the font printed on it will crack in time. Furthermore if you wash it at high temperatures the text will get sticky and either transfer to some other part of your shirt or crack even faster. Another odd thing to me was that the labels on the shirt don't say Yeezy, they say Gildan which is the t-shirt printing company - now come on, Kanye. 90 bucks for a shirt and I can't get a label from your brand? It's also the reason you're seeing exact replicas online - some guys have been smart enough to source that T-shirt company, copy the designs and get it printed - so essentially it's as good as getting from the store itself, only way cheaper - check on Carousell for those.

Does sizing run small? A size S should be for more petite and skinny girls (on hindsight maybe M might have been a better fit for me too) if you want the oversized fit, and for guys I seriously swear a minimum of L because M is really too small for most guys considering length and the width. 

The bomber jackets and the military jackets are more acceptable a quality as from what I saw the fabrics were nicer but they are seriously expensive af and the font printed on it is still the same kind on the shirts they will wear pretty easily. 

$50 for caps is crazy by the way for only having the Singapore print- it's not super special. 

You may be calling me a hypocrite now - telling you not the buy the poor quality merchandise but I myself getting a long sleeve - but I got mine for $30 and I felt that that was as overpriced as Topshop so it was still reasonable imo and I really wanted a souvenir as part of the experience. Furthermore for some reason the resale value is crazy high at the moment (so buying to sell is a good idea), although the staff did tell me that if you preorder your stuff your items are definitely going to lose value. 

Overall the three hour wait was pretty interesting and surprisingly productive since I got to study for my test - but I think you should wait for the hype to drop and then buy the clothing if you really want them. Or you could queue just to go in and take a look but I doubt there's anything since today is the last day. Cheers guys and have fun if you're going!

Thank you for reading, and this was my honest opinion so I will be open to disagreements but please do not leave me irrelevant hate speech that is unfair and silly and try to actually get your point across (a legit point). Any hate/racist/xenophobic speech is strictly banned and I will delete k. 

Update: I heard they sold out so there wasn't anything on Day 3 (aka today) My condolences guys get your Gildan replica on Carousell it's seriously the same company and same print which pretty much makes it authentic 

Love,
Khione


Comments

Popular Posts