A guide to studying

Hey guys 

I thought I'd do a fun post as to how I study and enjoy doing it. Because my exams are next week, they are indeed a lot earlier than O levels (so I'm hoping this benefits most people) 

Studying for examinations can be really stressful and difficult on you. It can be tiring, you could be up very late at night just trying to cram in that last bit of information. 

So let me tell you how I go around it. :) 

1. Start early 
I'm a hardcore procrastinator, and my brain cannot live a day without looking at Youtube / watching some television series -> am very tempted to try out Dominion. 

The first step is to identify whether you are a procrastinator or not (be honest). And if you are, then you know you must start early because that gives you time to study at a slower pace which will not be a total contrast from our previous procrastination. I don't advise people who are constant procrastinators to suddenly switch over and become super productive, because it will stress you over. 

My exams start September 30th, and I started studying from the September Holidays to make sure I have more time. I advise you to try that out because time will never seem enough if you start late. 

2. Pick a good environment to study
I love staying at home like most people, but I simply can't focus when I do so. Studying environments can really affect your productivity so I always try to go a library / stay in school to study. It could be a cafe for you, but that's something you can determine :) you should also try to decide who to bring along if you do, because it could either distract you or encroached you. 

3. Take breaks 
I love to take breaks in between of studying. But it can be bad if you don't look at the time. 10 minutes can fly by fast, so make sure you rationalise your studying : breaking ratio on your own. Self control is really important so make sure you force yourself to do that :>

Btw that's the kind of weird shit I find funny ^ :'D (notice my sense of humour is quite bad

4. Sleep properly 
Some people I know like to sleep at 1am, 3am, or even 5am. Please don't do that. When you lack sleep, you're going to fall asleep during class, which is bad because lessons are important and it's also not very nice to your teacher. 
Furthermore, I think people need to know that your productivity is relatively low when you stay up at night and you're tired, trying to keep awake with coffee etc. 
What I like to do is try to be more productive in the day (in school, afternoon), and prefer to take my break at night so I can sleep early and wake up at the right time. Besides, ruining your sleep cycle can be detrimental to you when your exams come around really close (like the next day) as you'll find it difficult to get the sufficient rest, and this will in turn adversely affect your performance if you're not able to hang in there / get coffee / get red bull. So sleep early! If you want to do anything, it's actually far better to sleep early and maybe wake earlier to study a little, as your body would feel a little better. Better to study while you're awake and well rested than tired and lethargic. 


5. Monitor your progress 
I think that monitoring your progress is really important when you study - make sure you're keeping up to a pace whereby you are fully prepared for your exams by the time it comes around. Being half prepared isn't a thing, and it's obviously not worth it. So make sure you're progressing at a rate whereby you can finish

6. Let go of your devices
Let your phone go! You can reply most whatsapp messages at a later time because they're usually not very urgent. Put your devices away when you study. If you want music, you can use it, but make sure your phone is on do not disturb, the vibrations and sounds all gone, and notifications if you can. All of these will really help you focus and concentrate. :) 

And that's all! 

I hope you guys find this guide useful. It's tough when studying for exams, but hang in there! I do wish everyone who's currently studying super hard for their exams all the best :) thanks for reading! 

Love,
Khione 



Comments

Popular Posts